Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Drums

Need a quick craft idea to keep the kiddos busy for an hour or more? These are coffee can drums my kids (4 1/2 and almost 3 yrs) made the other day. You know those stacks of loose ad papers that come in an envelope in the mail periodically? They are great for kids to practice cutting on. I don't like cutting pics out of magazines with my kids being this small because I end up having to tear out pages for them to cut (I'm lazy!). With these ads I can put a stack on the table and turn them loose! Whenever those come in the mail I give Jonas and Ella each a glue stick and a huge piece of paper and they love it. Now, obviously the pics on the cans above were cut out by me (were you beginning to think that my kids had great cutting skills?), but they picked out which pictures they wanted. Each of them used a paintbrush and a bowl of decapauge (you can also mix Elmer's glue with water) and went crazy with glue! I hot glued the lids onto the cans. This was a fun project and the plastic lid top works well as a drum, but what was I thinking? Did I really need to purposely create MORE noise around here? LOL!

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Wonderful idea!!! So creative, but simple! And, yes, what were you thinking when you created DRUMS?????!!!!!!!!! I would have left the lids off and used it as a container to hold all their something or others!!! =) Thanks for the great tip!

Matt & Nicki said...

okay, so you need to remember to tell me these ideas before you post them since I am bad about checking this blog--plus being a "single" mom I need creative ideas of things to do with my kids when daddy is gone so much:)

Erin Neiner said...

ok, this is insanely odd.
i bought those SAME tiebacks for Drew's room and they sat in the closet for a couple of years also. Now they are on his wall about a foot apart for his hoody and hat. But...I LOVE this idea!! I am going to have to do that with other hooks. I'm glad your a couple of steps ahead. Drew's room might start to look VERY familiar!!! ;)