Thursday, June 5, 2008

headband tutorial

I've had several questions about the headbands I make. I decided to try a "how-to" post complete with picutres and wordy instructions that will probably not make much sense. I'd welcome some comments on this. Please tell me if these instructions are clear and understandable or if I should make changes. The photography is poor, but this is as good as it gets here. Thanks for your help!


1. Cut 2 strips of fabric (I use flannel. It "sticks" to bald baby heads and holds better to hair). The strips should be approx. 14" long (maybe 16" for an adult although 14" works fine) and 1 1/2" wide at the ends and about 2" at the middle. Also cut 2 pieces of ribbon (I use sheer, but for this illustration I've chosen a darker color) approx. 12" long.


2. Place one piece of ribbon on the right side of one piece of the headband.

3. Place the 2nd headband piece over the first with right sides together. The ribbon will be in the middle of the 2 pieces now.

4. Stitch along the outside edge of the headband on 3 sides making sure to secure the ribbon to the headband. Leave one end open. Now the "fun" part- carefully turn the inside of the headband out.

You should have something that looks like this now:


5. To finish the open end, turn 1/4" of the edge toward the inside of the headband. Stick the end of the 2nd piece of ribbon into the headband and stich the end closed. With this stitch the end will be finished and the ribbon secured.



6. Topstitch all the way around the headband and ta-da.... DONE! See- this even fit mommy's head! (to see more click here)





4 comments:

tim said...

Very cute! Good tutorial. Did you cut the fabric to be wider in the middle?
~Kimberly, not Tim : )

Beth said...

Kim/ Tim :)
yes, the band is wider in the middle. Actually, on the headbands I like the most for the girls (small baby heads) I cut one side curved/ wider and the other side straight. Does that make sense? Then the curved part faces forward when it's on the head. I didn't include that in the instructions because I didn't know how to word it.

Janelle said...

Oh Beth,
Thank you so much for the step-by-step of how to make those adorable headbands!!! I understand completely now! By the way, it looks so cute on you too!!!! I'm really gonna have to try this myself. Maybe after we've moved though! I'm afraid I'm going to get hooked and be making tons of these things and won't get anything else done!!! Thanks again!

Ashley said...

hi, i came across your tutorial and have kind of a funny question...when you are done the ribbon seems like it should be coming out of just one side right? and if thats the case, how do you tie it? i'm sure i'm just having a "moment" and it will make sense once you clarify. thanks!